It’s my first week in Sydney for work in what seems like ages! This means meal prep is back on to start saving my coin for my holiday to New York City early next year. I do like salads for lunch, but only if they’re filled with lots of good carbs! A bowl of lettuce and raw vegetables can fill me up for a total of about 45 minutes.
My favourite salad bulky items I love to use are quinoa and sweet potato. It’s amazing how much you can stretch one medium sized sweet potato. This batch of salad I’ve made is enough food for three days worth of lunches! Perfect.
To compliment the sweet potato and quinoa, I have paired it up with a balsamic mustard dressing. Homemade dressings are the way to go to avoid all the preservatives and other assorted ingredients that end up in off the shelf dressings.
So here it is!
Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
What you’re going to need
1 medium sweet potato, chopped into even pieces
1/2 cup quinoa (I used tricolour for this recipe but feel free to use white, black or red)
1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
50 grams danish feta, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Dressing (to taste but here are some rough measurements)
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
cracked salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- On a lined baking tray, add the chopped sweet potato, olive oil, rosemary and thyme. Season with cracked salt then place tray on a high shelf in the oven.
- Whilst the potato is baking, prepare quinoa according to packet instructions. In addition, prepare the dressing in a small bowl/measuring jug
- With ideal timing, the sweet potato and quinoa should be ready at the same time. Set aside and allow to cool for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl place the sweet potato, quinoa, pistachios and feta. Add dressing to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.