Travelling to Italy later this year has got me all inspired with food lately! I was looking for a light lunch today as opposed to something with a thick tomato or creamy sauce. Olive oil serves as a perfect base for pasta sauces as it is easy to incorporate flavours and they won’t be overpowered. Today, I chose to do a garlic infused oil for the base. This was my first attempt to create it and it worked out perfectly. It is much cheaper to make your own garlic infused oil than to purchase the prepackaged ones! It also means you know exactly what goes in which is always a good thing!
Spaghetti with Garlic Infused Oil (serves 2)
What you’re going to need
1/2 packet thin spaghetti
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the blade of a knife (not minced)
generous handful spinach
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
sprinkle pine nuts
salt, for pasta water
1. Bring a large saucepan up to the boil with 1 tablespoon salt mixed through
2. Add pasta once boiling.
3. Heat up the oil in a frypan on a medium heat. Add the garlic and fry in the oil until fragrant (leave in longer for more intense flavour).
4. Once fragrant, remove garlic and add spinach and tomatoes. Cook until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are softened
5. Once pasta is cooked through, add to the sauce and toss through until evenly coated
6. Serve topped with pine nuts