So after a long day at work and then my bi weekly kickboxing class, I wanted dinner tonight to be light, simple and healthy. I visited the supermarket during the day today and picked up a sweet potato. Whilst in the queue at Coles, a man said to me “Wow that is a really big potato”. It was really awkward and wasn’t really sure what to say so I just went along and purchased it anyway. It weighed 850 grams!!! And cost $4! Alas, this potato is big enough to last me three meals so I thought it was a pretty good investment. One of the meals I decided to test out tonight which I have been thinking about all day is this salad. Serving size = 1.
Sweet Potato Salad with Balsamic Dressing
What you’re going to need
1 sweet potato (if you bought a mega sized one like me then you will only need 1/3 of it)
A big handful of baby rocket
1/2 tablespoon pine nuts
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius
2. Peel and cut your sweet potato into 1cm cubes. (Or if you’re super hungry cut them smaller!)
3. Lightly drizzle your spuddies with olive oil and season with salt and cracked pepper
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until a fork can go through them with ease
5. Whilst the potatoes are baking, toast your pine nuts in a fry pan until golden brown. Also, to prepare the dressing, simply combine all your ingredients in a cup/jug.
6. Assemble your salad starting with the rocket, then potato then pine nuts. Dress the salad and enjoy! (make sure to stir the dressing just before pouring because it will have separated when left to sit on the bench!)